Monday, February 4, 2013

Review: Equilibrium by Evie Woolmore

Equlibrium is an evocative tale of two sisters-Epiphany and Martha-who are mediums performing on stage in a theater in London, England in the early 1900’s. A Lady Adelia Lyward sees the performance and wants Epiphany to give her a private reading. She wanted to learn the truth of her brothers death not knowing the sisters have a connection to her household. Martha was a housemaid to the Lyward’s two years previous and fell pregnant by Adelia’s husband, Lord Rafe Lyward. In disgrace Martha left the Lyward’s household, gave her child away and attempted suicide in the River Thames, she survived... But there is more to the Lyward’s household then meets the eye.

The beginning of the story starts slowly but I was pleasantly surprised as I read on to discover how the mystery surrounding Adelia’s brothers death is revealed. However, I would have liked to have seen the historical elements to be stronger and expanded further on-such as the social changes in England during this period and I wanted to have a clearer picture on the details as to why Adelia’s brother went to South Africa during the Boer War then what was told.

Overall this story is rich in complex characters with remarkable depth despite their shortcomings. Epiphany’s voice gave- what I believe- a comfort to those she was interacting with at times and I thought she gave the story a calmness and a delicate reality to this tragic and harsh story that was unfolding. I recommend Equilibrium to readers who enjoys historical fiction with spiritualism influences.

~Stephanie
Layered Pages


1 comment:

  1. Stephanie

    I just wanted to post a note of thanks to you for reviewing my novel Equilibrium for the HNS, and for further sharing that review on your blog. I appreciate the time you have taken to review the book and for writing such a generous and thoughtful review. I too wish there had been more space in the book for historical detail but it was quite long already!
    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Best wishes
    Evie Woolmore
    http://allonymbooks.wordpress.com/evie-woolmore/

    ReplyDelete