Saturday, December 8, 2012

Interview with Author Christy English



I have the pleasure to share this wonderful interview with you! This is my second interview with Author Christy English. Welcome Christy to Layered Pages once again.


Christy, please tell you audience about How To Tame a Willful Wife.

HOW TO TAME A WILLFUL WIFE is a love story about two strong-willed people who slowly learn to live together as equals. Now this is a Regency romance, and the lead gentleman, Anthony, is an earl, so equality is not a concept he is comfortable with, to say the least. His wife, Caroline, won’t settle for less, though, and this leads to a lot of strife.

I have taken Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew and turned it on its head, so that it is the man being tamed. Of course, what really happens is that in the midst of their sparring and their lovemaking, Caroline and Anthony actually learn to talk to each other, and begin to build a real marriage. A happy one.





Is this your first regency period story you have written?

It is, and I have loved every minute of it! I have read Regencies all my life, but this novel was the first time I ever tried my hand at it. It was so much fun.


Where there any challenges?

Learning to write a new genre is very challenging, but I loved it. I found that many my flowery, long-winded descriptions had to go, much to the joy of my editor. LOL Also, I needed to increase the conflict in this novel, so that Caroline and Anthony are constantly in jeopardy. They do not always flee for their lives by any means, but the tension has to be built from one moment to the next, from one scene to the next, until the end when they finally come together and settle their differences for the last time.

One of my flaws as a writer, one I am working to overcome, is that I don’t like to watch my characters suffer. I said in a previous interview that it feels like I am torturing a puppy, and the puppy is me. LOL Of course, my characters are always strong enough to take any plot twists I dish out, and I get to explore their strength as I watch them exercise it. So conflict is a good thing.


Tell us about those hot love scenes… were they hard to write?


For some reason, every novel I have ever written is heavy on love scenes. They creep into every book, and I just let them enter in. I don’t try to stop them, because I interrupt the flow at my peril. There have been times, as in TO BE QUEEN, when my editor had me trim down a love scene, but for the most part, they get to stay in the books. One thing I love best about writing Regency romances is that all my love scenes get to stay where they are.

Love scenes are interesting. Some people really enjoy them and some people skip them. I hope my book has enough going on that it will appeal to both kinds of readers.


What book project are you working on next?

I am revising books 2 and 3 of this series. I am having such an amazing time re-working Shakespeare’s comedies, and watching as the seed of his genius gives birth to an entirely new plot.
Book 2 in this series, which should be out late next summer, is LOVE ON A MIDSUMMER NIGHT in which Pembroke, Anthony’s hard drinking, womanizing best friend, has to rescue the woman who jilted him ten years before. It’s the story of the taming of a rake, and it is a lot of fun. Or I suppose I should say, I had a lot of fun writing it. I am obviously biased LOL!


What are you currently reading?


I have been so enmeshed in launching HOW TO TAME A WILLFUL WIFE while revising LOVE ON A MIDSUMMER NIGHT that my reading has slowed down to a snail’s pace. I had the pleasure of reading Heather Webb’s BECOMING JOSEPHINE and now I am reading CALEB’S CROSSING by Geraldine Brooks. Though not a prolific a reader at the moment, I have found some beautiful pieces to savor.


What do you plan on reading next?


CLOUD ATLAS. I am going to enjoy diving into that.
 
 
 
Thank you Christy for this lovely interview!
 
 
Stephanie
Layered Pages
 
 
 
Review:
 
 
Christy does it again with this wonderful re-telling of, "Taming of the Shrew." This is one romance novel I couldn't put down! I normally don't read romance that often and this story was wonderfully told! I have enjoyed every single one of Christy's novel and I knew she would be fabulous. Wonderful character building and the story-line was fast-paced, entertaining, engrossing, and a delight to read! I really enjoy reading stories with strong female characters and this story gives you that. This is quite simply the best of the best. A must read!
 
 
Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me Stephanie.. what a fun interview :)

    ReplyDelete