Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I am The Chosen King by Helen Hollick



I first discovered Helen Hollick on Goodreads. When I read Forever Queen I was captivated by the story of Queen Emma. The story was so beautifully written, I wanted to continue on to the sequel as soon as I could. In the sequel the story moves on to Harold Godwinsson. Who becomes King of England after Edward dies. Harold was the last Saxon King of England.

The horrid Duke William of Normandy wants England for himself. He invades England, which leads up to the Battle of Hastings. Needless to say... I was devastated when Harold died, especially in such a horrific way. But I understand Helen wanting to stay true as possible to the historic events that took place.

It has taken me a while to write this review due to the fact the story is so good I wanted it to do the story justice. Helen said to me, “Just be honest, even the “didn’t like” bits. Constructive criticism is always welcome.” I reply,“ In my little fantasy world if I were to change anything. It would be that my love king Harold would have crushed Duke William and his army, taken all his lands and live happily after with me.”

Throughout reading this amazing story, I kept on thinking how Helen describes the politics and drama of the royal court. She describes it as if she lived during that time to see it all unfold with her very eyes. That is how wonderful and intriguing the story is. One can tell that Helen does extensive research on her subjects and history, which is inspiring. I could only dream of becoming as good a writer as she and I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words Stephanie - I so wish I could have changed the ending to Harold's advantage :-(

    ReplyDelete