Friday, March 9, 2012

I Shall Not Hate by Izzeldin Abuelaish


This is probably one of the best memoir I have read in sometime. I was feeling so many different emotions reading this story.

I was conflicted with the political side of it though. It's a horrific and complicated situation. Izzeldin Abuelaish is a unique person. He was raised in the Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Srip under horrible conditions. The lack of humanity these people are under are appalling and tragic. Abuelaish never gave into to the bad situation he was living in. He stayed strong and never gave up. Which is understandable if he did. He grew up to become a medical doctor. He is certainly a person to admire.

One of the things I respect him for most is that when his daughters were killed by Israeli soldiers. His sadness over the loss of his daughters never turned towards hate and wanting revenge. He wants peace between the Palestinians and the Israeli people.

No comments:

Post a Comment