Friday, March 30, 2012

Interview with Patty Wiseman



1. Who or what inspired you to become an author?

First of all, from my earliest memory in school, I loved to read. My first grade teacher Mrs. Bell introduced wonderful stories to me. I was a fast learner, and she nurtured my appetite. My older sister taught me to read before I entered school, but Mrs. Bell unlocked my imagination. Naturally, I did well through school with short story assignments and poetry. The writing bug was taking hold. Marriage, children, and life in general side-tracked that interest until about ten years ago. The inspiration to really take writing seriously came through real life experiences. Someone said, you should write a book and so I did!

2. Please tell us about your book, "An Unlikely Arrangement."

 An Unlikely Arrangement is the first in a series I call The Velvet Shoe Collection. These books are romantic mysteries, with twists and turns the reader won’t see coming. They are actually based on the real life situation of my own grandmother’s arranged marriage in the 1920’s. She was a rebel, always in trouble, and her parents decided to arrange a proper marriage for her. Her rebelliousness led to a series of events that would change her life forever. At seventeen, she witnesses a broken engagement, a kidnapping and a murder. Set in 1920’s Detroit, Michigan, the mob plays a part in this suspenseful story. She doesn’t expect to even like the man they choose for her, but her world explodes when she first lays eyes on this handsome man. The emotional journey Ruth goes through is not unlike what young women face today. I hope through this story we can feel a kindred to all women no matter what era they lived.

3. What is your next book project?

I’m working on the second in the sequel right now. It’s called An Unlikely Beginning, and it picks up the story from the first book after the surprise ending leaves you wanting more. There will be three books in this series.

I also have a romantic comedy in the works. It’s a modern day story of a single mom, trying to maintain her female identity while raising two sons and working two jobs.

4. What is your favorite quote?

My favorite quote is… “Trust that little voice in your head that says wouldn't it be interesting if....; And then do it.” ― Duane Michaels

5. What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

I would tell any aspiring author to study, study, study. Usually, everyone says follow your dream, keep on keeping on, etc., and that is important. But what really works for new writers, especially in this time of instant publication, is to study the craft! The only way to stand out in this crowded profession is to be the absolute best you can be. I read a lot of the tried and true authors, the ones that are successful. I ‘listen’ to the cadence or the flow as I read. Watch your grammar and punctuation, and polish, polish, polish!


Thank you so much for this interview Patty. It's a pleasure and an honor!

Stephanie


Thank you for having me, Stephanie. I really enjoyed it!
Patty


No comments:

Post a Comment